MarketingSherpa has a case study on a newsletter publisher that used social media sharing buttons in their newsletter. Here’ a few nuggets:
- They asked their subscribers which networks they used.
- They checked inbound traffic to see where content was already being poseted.
- They used the social buttons for each article (or piece of content) in the newsletter – instead of having people have to share the whole thing.
- Sharing links went to the publisher’s summary of the story – not the original source link.
- They asked their customer test groups if they recognized teh buttons.
- They used clicktracking to check sharing habits as well as did their own shortened URL for Twitter friendly items.