I own your book but it doesn’t say if typepad allows putting ads on the blogs we create. Can you tell me more about this? And how to do it?
Yes, TypePad allows you to host ads on your blogs.
There’s a couple ways to do it you can add Google AdSense ads to your blog or you can use TypePad Text Ads that come with TypePad out of the box.
Add TypePad Text Ads to Your TypePad Blog
TypePad has a partnership with Kanoodle. You’ll have to be upgraded to the TypePad Pro service package (currently $14.95/month).
- Login to TypePad and go to Control Panel > Earnings.
- Under Start Earning Now (on the right), click GO next to the blog you want to ad text ads to. The Content/Design page displays.
- Under Text Ads (left column, half-way down), click Configure. A pop-up window displays.
- Select Easy Setup and click Continue. A preview of how your Text Ads will look displays.
- Select Yes, use this configuration and click Continue.
- Confirm that you accept the Terms of Service and click Save Changes.
- Back at the Design screen, be sure you have Text Ads checked.
- Save Changes. You can now move where you ads appear on the page by going to Weblogs > (Your Blog) > Edit Design > Order Content.
Add Google AdSense Text Ads to Your TypePad Blog
To add Google AdSense Text Ads to your TypePad Blog, you’ll have to have a Google AdSense account. You can sign-up for Google AdSense at http://google.com/adsense/.
Get Your AdSense Code
Once you’ve signed up with Google AdSense, login to AdSense and go to AdSense Setup. An options page displays.
- Click on AdSense for Content. Your Ad unit options displays. The first option is fine for starters.
- Click on Continue. Ad Format and Colors options displays.
- Select the Vertical Banner (120 x 240) size and use the default palette. Click Continue. The Channels options page displays.
- The default options are sufficient for now. Click Continue. Your AdSense code displays.
- This is the swatch of HTML you are going to add to your blog.
- Select the AdSense code and do Edit > Copy (or Ctrl-C or Command-C).
In a separate browser window (File > New browser window, Ctrl-N or Command-N), login to TypePad,
Add the AdSense Code to Your TypePad Blog
We are going to add a Notes TypeList that will contain our AdSense ads.
- Login to TypePad and go to TypeLists. The TypeList main page displays.
- Under Create a new TypeList, select a Notes TypeList and title it Sponsored Listing or whatever you want the title of the ad block to be.
- After you create the new TypeList, TypePad prompts you to add that TypePad to one of your blogs. Click on Add this list to your weblog(s) or About Page. A pop-up window displays.
- Check the blog you want to add the AdSens ads to and click Save Changes. A success screen displays, Close Window.
- Meanwhile back in the main window, TypePad prompts you to add an item to your Notes TypeList.
- Click on Add a new item. The a pop-up window opens and the new item form displays.
- Leave Label blank for now.
- Under Note, paste in the AdSense code using Edit > Paste (or Ctrl-V or Command-V) and click Add Item. The item has now been added to your blog.
- Go to your blog and you’ll see the AdSense ads being displayed.
To change where the ads appear on the page, go into TypePad and go to Weblogs > (Your Blog) > Edit Design > Order Content.