Yesterday we talked about Google Analytics, Google’s free service that lets you track the performance of your websites and blogs from one simple, easy-to-use interface.
Grab Your Google Analytics Code Block
- Login to Google Analytics at http://google.com/analytics/. The main Settings page loads.
- Click on Add Website Profile. A form displays.
- Select Add a Profile for a New Domain.
- Enter the URL of your site or blog.
- Select your country and time zone. Click Finish.
- Analytics provides you with a code block – a swatch of HTML – to add to your site’s pages.
- Highlight the code block and then copy it by selecting Edit > Copy or Ctrl-C or Command-C.
Add the Google Analytics Code Block to Your Blogger Blog
- Login to http://www.blogger.com/. The Dashboard loads.
- Under the blog you want to add Analytics tracking to, click on Layout or Template.
- Click on Edit HTML. An editing screen for your blog template’s HTML displays. Don’t freak out. Just scroll to the bottom.
- Look for the end of the template. It’ll look like:
<!– end outer-wrapper –>
(Google Analytics Code Block is going to go here!!!)
- Put your cursor right before that </body> tag.
- Paste the Google Analytics Code Block by selecting Edit > Paste, Ctrl -V or Command-V.
- Click Save Changes.
You have now added the Google Analytics Code Block to Your Blogger Blog.
Check Your Work
- To ensure that you have successfully added the Google Analytics Code Block to your Blogger blog, go back to http://google.com/analytics/.
- Next to your blog’s URL it will say either Receiving Data (you were successful) or Tracking Not Installed (something is amiss).
- If it said Tracking Not Installed, click on Check Status. Google then checks your blog for the Analytics Code Block and reports back if it find it or not.
- If not, try re-pasting the Code Block in.