Full audio of our call with Susie Gardner (53.1 MB, MP3).
- Susannah Gardner, web designer for Hop Studios and author of Buzz Marketing with Blogs for Dummies.
- How you discovered the web?
- How you found blogs?
06:00 Your Definition of a Blog
- Websites designed for constant updates of smallpieces of information. Like journals, but extended with interactivity.
- “You want to interact.” Don’t ever hesitate to link (open attitude of blogs).
10:40 Open Linking and Blogrolls
- If you’re going to be useful – you need to link to outside resources.
- Karma and collaboration.
- Different blogrolls for different topics.
15:00 How do you know what you’re reading on a blog is accurate? (You don’t!)
15:30 Pitching to Bloggers
- Targeting the right blogger.
- Don’t waste their time. Get to the point.
- Formal programs: BzzAgent, Marqui, Silicon Valley 100 – matchmaker for marketers and bloggers.
20:15 Ads on Blogs, Revenue, Promotion
- Ads can be successful if they are correctly targeted (i.e. BlogAds).
- Example: PVR Blog (a blog about Tivos etc).
- Can confuse the message of your marketing.
24:05 Using ‘Tasteful’ Banner Ads (referencing Seth Godin’s linking to his own books at the bottom of his blog)
- Blogs as understated sales (references the new Easy Bake frontpage with the 3 option menu – above the blog content).
- Usability versus marketability.
- Reducing internal page content to guide prospect.
- Blogging is so easy to start – sometimes folks don’t define what they want out of it – how they are going to measure success.
- Some companies don’t link their blogs on their homepages.
- Susie uses this between her book’s blog and her web design company‘s sites.
- Father Son Adventures – Dovid Grossman – reduce weight of some elements to guide people towards the ezine sign-up.
33:50 Faux Blogs/Fake Blogs (fictional character/mascot branding)
- Reminds Andy of that CK One email campaign.
- Diverts from the history of blogs as being rooted in honesty, straightfoward. Fake blogs bend this.
- Is it an actual intent to deceive?
- Blog veterans disagree with this (obligatory Raging Cow mention along with ‘What About the Children’ panic). Also: Mazda
fake blog, Lance
- Fake commenters. Hollywood studio commenters praising panned films.
42:20 Anonymous blogging
- How can you be totally anonymous? (IP address, email, billing always trackable)
- See also: Legal findings in Apple vs bloggers case: Bloggers do not have freedom of press protection.
- Also: Invisiblog.
47:15 How will the popularity of blogs change the blogosphere?
- Ideas of Information Wants to Be Free, Democracy in Action…
- Less focus on technology (Andy mentions endless September) might mean less innovation, but more mainstream.
52:00 Ezine versus Blog
- Andy says both! So does Susie!
Leave a Reply